Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Absolutely Nothing Things in Life

Ok, so I've been in my school's library from 3:15 pm to what is now 5:09 am. I should be writing my paper and studying for my ungodly hard art history exam since, after all, I have to be at work in 5 hours.

Still, I came across something that, honest to God, put me on THE MOON:

Last year, visiting artist/graphic designer, Daniel Eatock, came to our school to set up an exhibition at the Catherine J. Smith Gallery (you may think I'm being elaborate, but this has been a decent chunk of my paper these last four hours...). Part of what he included in his exhibit were what he called "Holley Portraits," named after a friend of his in college who created something similar that said something which resonated in Dan's mind enough to want to recreate it. Phew, I didn't even say that out loud and I'm tongue tied.

So what they had us newbie graphic designers do was make a thumb print, enlarge it to the size of our face/head, and then write our life story along the grooves. I remember seeing mine on the gallery wall, and even though everyone who made one could find it up there, it just so happened to be my birthday and that made MINE being up there much more special. Don't worry, I thanked him for this by saying, "Thank you SO much for choosing mine!!!!1111"

At that point, I had no idea that he put all of them up there. It happens.

BUT! in reference to the paper I am currently (or was currently) writing, I came across his website and look what I found:

My Holley Portrait! On his website! With everyone else's! But that's ok!

It's probably better quality if you view it from there: "Michelle Kammerhuber"

It says, "One day I realized that I am absolutely (x 6,000,000) nothing. And that is ok."






And it still is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty amazing (and believe it or not, I'm not being sarcastic).

Post a Comment