Thursday, October 21, 2010

A Few Good Mentalities

I came across this article from the NYtimes.com by Michael Cieply about what he perceives as a lack of memorable movie lines from films post-1990. Amusingly enough (for me anyway) he mentions 2010's "The Social Network" which I not only JUST watched tonight with my brother, but kept thinking about while reading this article. CRAZY.

The movie, in my opinion, captured the sticky lawsuit issues surrounding Facebook founder, Mark Zuckerberg, in a way that seemed appropriately desensationalized. Aside from a few expected elements of 21st century cinematic pizzazz (simultaneous bathroom stall hook-ups, anyone?), the movie, like Facebook, detaches from our experience by holding up that proverbial mirror. It begs to be observed at face-value (heh heh) by reminding us that in a homogenized social realm, real personality becomes a commodity.

With that being said, I found myself holding on to certain quotes as if they were rare moments of raw honesty, commodities compared to the dialogue-saturated movies so typical today. My favorite part was actually a line that Andrew Garfield's character said, and I'm paraphrasing:

"Yeah, I did get your 46 text messages...and I thought it was completely normal behavior." Lawl.

Perhaps the most sobering came from the ex-gf of Jesse Eisenberg's character:

"But you still blogged...like your thoughts are so smart it would be a crime not to share them."





Damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment